Define classical architecture and cite evidence of Classical influence on one or more
buildings in New York City. Compare and contrast the building in New York City with a
building from antiquity. Discuss Classical influences on the “modern” architect, and
consider how he made non-Classical use of Classical elements.
Be sure to. . .
1. Make the paper 3-5pages typed no larger than 12pt.
2. Include an outline and bibliography.
3. Define classical architecture and use appropriate terms from class and the text.
4. Be sure the buildings chosen are well documented within the paper (i.e. place,
name, dates, pictures, and/or drawings)
5. Discuss the current use of the building.
6. Discuss exterior of the building you choose.
7. Discuss the surface decoration and sculptures on the exterior.
8. Discuss the architectural innovations of a Greek or Roman building the NYC
building most closely resembles.
10. Cite your sources.
Some examples of buildings that can be used:
1. The New York Stock Exchange, 8 Broad St. between Wall St. and Exchange Pl.
2. The New York State Supreme Courthouse, 60 Centre Street
3. The New York City Public Library Main Branch, 5th Ave & 42nd Street
4. Bronx Borough Courthouse, 161st Street and 3rd Ave.
5. Bronx County Courthouse, 161st Street and Grand Concourse
6. The Metropolitan Museum of Art, 5th Ave at 84th St.